WFD works with partners around the world, including parliaments, political parties, electoral bodies, civil society organisations, and others that are addressing critical policy and governance challenges.
For more than 30 years, WFD has supported democracies around the world to grow stronger, so that freedom and prosperity can flourish.
With Headquarters in London, UK, WFD has offices in more than 30 countries around the world. WFD staff in the places we work are local to those places. They build and maintain long-term, trusted relationships that are sensitive to local politics. WFD believes this is critical to effective democracy support programming.
WFD’s vision and mission
WFD’s vision is of a world in which freedom and democracy thrive, and where inclusive and accountable governments serve people fairly and effectively.
WFD’s mission is to mobilise British and international expertise to support people around the world to strengthen democracy in their country. We help them address problems their citizens face while building long-term democratic resilience.
WFD provides analysis, learning, mentoring, and knowledge sharing, and facilitates connections with other relevant national and local leaders.
- Programmes: WFD designs and delivers problem-driven programmes that get to the root of problems and help parliaments, political parties, civil society actors, and electoral systems to deliver meaningful outcomes for their societies. WFD’s programmes work to promote inclusive political processes, enable accountable political systems, support the protection of freedom and rights, and foster pluralist societies.
- Policy support and research: WFD offers policy-relevant research and provides valued policy and advisory support to funders, programme managers, and partners.
WFD is proud of its professional expertise on key democracy and governance issues. With that expertise, WFD provides the tools, information, environment, and approach for complex problems to be solved locally, contributing to political trust and democratic resilience.
Key themes include:
- Accountability and transparency
- Women’s political leadership
- Inclusion and equality of participation
- Democratic action on climate and the
- Electoral integrity
- Political parties and political pluralism
- Disinformation and political discourse
- Democratic resilience
Where WFD works?
The list of places where WFD works is available over here.